Hey there, blog world. My first ever blog award! Thank you to Reawakening ME for nominating me for the Infinity Dreams Award. Its purpose is to get bloggers more connected with each other. Since I’m working on the Blogging 101 course through Blogging University at WordPress, it seems like that’s a good place to begin looking for more new connections.
- Thank and follow the blog that nominated you.
- Tell us 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions that were set for you to answer.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and set questions for them.
So here goes….
11 Facts about me:
- I teach psychology at Monroe Community College in Rochester, NY.
- Because I am a cognitive psychologist, specializing in the science of memory, I will never be permitted to serve on a jury.
- I read a lot, averaging around 50 books a year (not counting textbooks I read for work).
- I moved a lot as a kid, living in 8 places before 5th grade, but now I’ve lived in the same house for 20 years.
- I painted fantasy murals on the walls in both my kids’ bedrooms. Though they’ve grown up and left, the murals are still there.
- Both of my grown kids live nearby so that I see them once a week, which is PERFECT.
- I sing with a local community group called Women of Note. We do pop, jazz, and show tunes mostly.
- I love pencil-and-paper dice-rolling role-playing games (think Dungeons and Dragons, though these days we mostly play Changeling).
- I am a horrible gardener, and can’t keep a houseplant alive for more than a week or two.
- I spend a lot of time each summer on our sailboat, a 35-foot sloop named Counterpoint, on Lake Ontario and the Thousand islands. But I’m not a sailor; that’s my husband’s passion.
- Back in 1992 I published a college textbook called Quantitative Research for the Behavioral Sciences, which stayed in print for almost ten years.
The Questions set for me:
- What’s your favourite country you’ve visited?
I live in New York State, USA, so I go to Canada quite frequently. It’s a wonderful place, but seems commonplace from this perspective. The most exotic place I have visited is Japan, which was a thrill.
- What’s the best film you’ve seen in the last year?
I’m a sucker for action flicks with sci-fi elements and humor. The most recent of those was Kingsman. Great fun
- Who would you choose to play you in the film of your life?
This question went around my book club not long ago, and I answered without hesitation: Meryl Streep. She can play ANYONE.
- What’s your favourite colour?
Dark, forest green
- Which 3 people (dead or alive) would you invite to a dinner party?
You mean, aside from the friends and family I invite regularly? Neil deGrasse Tyson (rock-star astrophysicist who was charming at a public event I attended), John Scalzi (SF author who can’t possibly be as much fun in real life as he is online), and Charles L. Carter (my father, who died 10 years ago and I miss daily).
- Which mode of transport do you use most often?
A car, sad to say.
- If you could have one super power what would it be?
Super-cleverness, to be able to figure out how to solve problems quietly and without any fuss, so everything works and nobody gets hurt. A secret superpower!
- How long have you been blogging for?
I started just 11 months ago.
- And what inspired you to start writing a blog?
I hope to share my journey with others as I work toward writing and publishing a novel, and to have connections in the world of books when that lucky day happens that I can shout the news to.
- What sort of blogs do you most enjoy reading yourself?
Those where the author shares personal reflections and also information or insights that I can find useful, in life or in my work.
- Marmite, love it or hate it?!
I confess I’ve never had it. I also confess it doesn’t appeal to me.
My questions for the people I’ve nominated:
- Are you a morning person or a night person?
- What is your favorite TV show (current or past, broadcast or cable or streaming)?
- What was/is your favorite subject in school? How about your least favorite?
- What is your favorite beverage to sip on a quiet evening?
- If you could magically get the answer to one question, what would that question be?
- What kind of music or radio station do you listen to most often? (If you don’t listen, why not?)
- What is something about you that most people would find surprising?
- If you were going to be an animal, what animal would it be?
- Who do you imagine as the target audience for your blog?
- What is easiest for you about blogging? What is hardest?
- What’s one pet peeve?
The blogs I am nominating (including some of my Blogging 101 classmates):
- Quotidian Things
- Paving My Author’s Road
- Misprinted Pages
- Michael Christiano
- Hailey Foglio
- Mehrling Muse
- The Girl in the Little Black Dress
- The 1951 Club